Sonntag, 7. Juli 2013

Breaking Down Barriers: Ghalia Baggily, The Highest Ranked Arab Woman In BJJ

Originaltext:

Ghalia Baggily-Ogden Smith is a BJJ brown belt teaching in Beirut, Lebanon. In this exclusive interview with BJJ Eastern Europe, Ghalia talks about very interesting BJJ journey that took her from the UAE to Warsaw to Lebanon, and talks about her plans for BJJ in the Region:

1. Can you please introduce yourself to the BJJ Community of Eastern Europe? 

Ghalia Baggily (Ogden-Smith), 38 years old, BJJ Brown Belt, Jordanian, work in Events management.
I train at home with my training partner and with our Drill to Win Galvao book.


2. Please tell us about your Jiu-Jitsu story.

In 2004 when BJJ was just starting in Jordan i joined the guys’ class along with other three girls. As soon as I was awarded the blue belt I had to move to Dubai for work.
In Dubai, I trained under Carlos Santos, Olavo Abreu and Suyan Queiroz until I was asked by the dojo owner not to attend classes anymore. “Females are not allowed in my dojo” he told me. This upset me very much and made me feel like I was doing something wrong. But my coaches were adamant about finding a new location which they did a couple of months after. Throughout my training in Dubai I learnt a lot about the BJJ and the BJJ lifestyle and made amazing friends who encouraged me and made me feel proud.


More bjjee.com

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen